I was a fan of Lauren Daigle.  Not only is she an awesome musician, but we share the same hometown, Lafayette, LA, and like me, she grew up in a Southern Baptist Church.  I have friends that went to church with her and who know her personally.  I was excited that a home-town girl had made it to the top of the Christian music world.  But I don't think I'll listen to her music anymore.  

Recently Lauren was a guest on "The Domenick Nati Show" on iHeart Radio.  He asked her about her views on homosexuality, on whether it is a sin.  Here's her answer:
"I can't honestly answer on that, in the sense of I have too many people that I love and they are homosexuals.  I can't say one way or the other.  I'm not God.  When people ask questions like that, I just say, 'Read the Bible and find out for yourself.  And when you find out let me know because I'm learning too.'"
I was so disappointed to hear this.  I can no longer enjoy her music, or recommend it to others.  I cannot support a professing Christian who is compromising on such an important issue.  An issue that the Bible is very clear about.

I feel bad for her former pastor.  He must be so disappointed.  One of my fears is that someone who has attended my church for years, sitting under my teaching and spiritual leadership, will grow up to deny the truths and principles that I worked so hard pass on.  Surely her pastor clearly proclaimed God's word about homosexuality.  Surely her Sunday school class or small group discussed the issue on many occasions.  How is it that she seems so clueless, so wishy-washy on such a crucial issue?

There have been too many instances recently when Christian celebrities have caved under pressure when asked about unpopular Christian doctrines (Joel Osteen, Carl Lentz, etc.). 

So let me remind you briefly of what the Bible says about homosexuality:

  1. Homosexuality is clearly condemned in both the Old and New Testaments (Leviticus 18:22; 1 Timothy 1:9-11).
  2. The Bible calls homosexuality an abomination (Leviticus 18:22).  In the place of "abomination," other Bible versions use words like "repulsive, detestable, disgusting, a terrible sin, God hates it, a hated sin, an enormous sin, and abhorrent."
  3. The sin of homosexuality was so serious to God that He made it a capital crime for the nation of Israel, punishable by death (Leviticus 20:3).
  4. In Romans 1:26-27, the Bible describes the sin of homosexuality as "disgraceful," "unnatural," "shameless," and an "error."  Other Bible versions use words like "vile, degrading, contrary to nature, abnormal, against nature, disgraceful, evil, passions of dishonor, shameful affections, unseemly, indecent, filthy, wrongdoing, perversion, foolish deeds, and sexual perversity."
  5. In 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, the sin of homosexuality is described as unrighteous.  It is placed in a list of vices alongside sexual immorality, idolatry, adultery, theft, greed, drunkenness, verbal abuse, and swindling.
  6. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 makes it very clear that unrepentant homosexuals will go to hell.
  7. The Bible makes it clear that homosexuals can repent and change by the power of God (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
  8. In 1 Timothy 1:9-11 homosexuals are placed alongside the lawless, rebellious, ungodly, sinful, unholy, irreverent, those who kill their parents, murderers, the sexually immoral, slave traders, liars, and perjurers.  
  9. The Bible says that homosexuality is contrary to sound teaching and does not conform to the gospel (1 Timothy 1:9-11).
  10. Homosexuality was condemned by Jesus Christ when He made it clear that marriage is the union of one man and one woman for a lifetime (Matthew 19:1-6).
Let me equip you to handle the "hard" questions.  Is homosexuality a sin?  "Absolutely."  Doesn't the Bible teach that we shouldn't judge others?  "Yes.  But I'm not judging, I'm simply telling you what you the Bible says."  Do you believe that homosexuals will go to hell?  "If they refuse to repent, then yes.  All unrepentant sinners will go to hell.  But God offers forgiveness to anyone who repents and trusts in Jesus Christ."

Our mission is not to convince the world to like us; it is to persuade the world to repent and turn in faith to Jesus Christ.  Remember the words of Jesus.  “If the world hates you, understand that it hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own. However, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of it, the world hates you (John 15:18-19)."  Forget about being liked by the world and focus on being faithful to God.  That's all that matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Shouldn't Be A Swiftie

Should Christians Attend Gay Weddings?

Are We Approaching Armageddon?