How to Stay Focused in Prayer

I used to struggle to stay focused in my private prayer time.  My mind would wander or I would end up repeating myself over and over because I couldn't remember what I already said.  Then I came across an idea that I learned from Bill Hybels, who learned it from somebody else.  Writing out my prayers.  Actually I don't write my prayers, I type them.  My journal is on my computer.  But Bill Hybels actually writes out his prayers by hand.  Either way, the idea is the same.  In your private prayer time, try writing out your prayers word for word.  It helps you to stay focused and to avoid repeating yourself over and over.  And it helps you to be very clear and very specific in your prayers, which is a good thing.  Writing out my prayers has been revolutionary for my devotional life.  Maybe it can help you, too.

And here's another idea.  Sometimes when you're praying you will remember something important that you need to get done later that day.  Because you fear forgetting about it, the idea will dominate your thoughts and distract you from focused prayer.  The solution?  Keep a pen and paper next to you during your prayer time.  Then you can quickly jot down important ideas or tasks that come to mind and then return to prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Shouldn't Be A Swiftie

Should Christians Attend Gay Weddings?

Are We Approaching Armageddon?