2021 Southern Baptist Convention: Where do we go From Here?

The annual Southern Baptist Convention was this week (Tues and Wed) in Nashville, TN.  It was the first year that Church Acadiana sent messengers.  It was the most highly attended convention in many years, due to one glaring issue -- critical race theory.  Some good came out of the convention, and some not so good.  

First, I'm proud of our convention for passing a resolution that we are for the complete abolition of abortion for any reason, except when the mother's life is in danger.  This is about the strongest pro-life statement that can be made.  

Second, I'm disappointed with the election of Ed Litton as the new president of the SBC.  I'm sure he is a very godly man, but he was not the conservative choice because he has not taken a strong, clear position against critical race theory.  But presidents come and go.  He can be replaced next year.  

Third, I'm most disappointed that the convention did not pass a strong resolution condemning critical race theory.  It did pass Resolution 2, which vaguely condemns CRT but without actually naming it.  

But the debate is not over.  The disagreement is not settled.  There are thousands of Southern Baptists who are passionately against CRT, and that number will likely grow as more people are educated on the issue.  I think the main problem is that many people don't understand it, and pastors are not preaching about it.  But I believe that over the next year or two the convention will pass a strong resolution against CRT.    

Even though I'm not fully pleased with everything that came out of the convention this year, I do not think it is time to abandon ship.  I don't think there is any organization in the world that I fully agree with.  I'm a Republican, but I don't agree with everything that comes out of the Republican Convention.  I work for a Fortune 500 corporation, but I certainly don't agree with everything they do.  I'm a proud American, but I don't agree with every decision our government makes.  I'm a member of a local church, and I don't agree with every decision in my church -- and I'm the pastor!  I am married, but that doesn't mean I agree or approve of everything my wife does.  The Southern Baptist Convention is not perfect, but it is still the most conservative, most effective, and largest Protestant denomination in America.  Cooperating with the SBC is still the best way for our church to fulfill the Great Commission, making disciples of all nations.  And just as it has self-corrected in the past on issues like abortion, inerrancy, and complementarianism, I sincerely believe that we will self-correct on this issue.  Now is the time for conservatives to get even more active and vocal.  And we need to remember to be persuasive and winsome, not angry and offensive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Shouldn't Be A Swiftie

Should Christians Attend Gay Weddings?

Are We Approaching Armageddon?